Front Page News!

Front Page News!

Front Page News!



During book week this year, I read my latest picture book to a group of students at my school and this was featured in my local newspaper - The Gippsland Times. Little Lamb's Big Day Out was inspired by actual events. One Tuesday, at the end of July, a little lamb named Barry came to visit our school for the day. He was only two days old and everyone immediately fell in love with him. He wore a hand knitted rainbow jacket and was tiny enough to fit in a disposable nappy. As I sat on the floor of the staff room, waiting for Barry to feel brave enough to come closer for a photo, Beck suggested that I write a book about Barry's adventures. 


Everyone I work with knows they only have to look at me sideways and I'll write a book about it. One of the books I wrote last year was specifically so a teacher friend of mine could wear a pretty dress for the book week parade this year.



An idea began to brew and that night, I ignored the TV and typed out a story. I thought about little lambs going to school and decided to use the same rhyming structure as Mary Had a Little Lamb. I had the first draft done that night then tweaked it over the next few days as I worked on the illustrations. By the time little Barry was 8 days old, I had the book up for sale, then print copies in my hand a little over a week later. The kids at school loved the story. They enjoy repitition and rhyme. And they were excited to see other characters they recognise from our school, like Teddy the wellbeing dog and the chickens. 

But what got them the most excited during my reading was something that, thankfully, didn't get caught on camera. Let me set the scene. I'm in the school library, seated in front of a dozen or so kids and a journalist from the local paper. I'm a bit nervous, because I haven't done an official public reading before, usually its just the kids in my class, not the press. Sitting cross-legged on the floor beside me is Beck, dressed as Little Bo Peep, with a now three-and-a-half week old Barry on her lap. Barry has grown over the past three weeks. So much, that the nappy no longer fits over his bottom, just around his middle to prevent puddles. Beck tries to stretch the nappy a bit further, but to no avail. With a smile and a shrug, we carry on. She'll be right.

I begin the reading. I ask engaging questions as I turn the pages. Everyone is looking at me, until they're not. They're looking at Barry. Or more accurately, at Bo Peep's dress. There is squealing and pointing and nose holding but all I want to do is burst out laughing. Beck bundles the mess into her skirt, and I turn the page and carry on. "So Barry didn't make a mess, He put a nappy on. Maybe he should have done that today, too."

It took a couple more pages until the kids quietened down, then the rest of the session ran smoothly. But poor Beck couldn't get up off the floor until all the kids had gone back to class and we found a packet of wet wipes. Then Beck and I chatted with the journalist for a while and all my passion for story poured out. you can read the complete article HERE.


 


It was on the same day as the dress up parade, so instead of my usual look - with a flower in my hair - I was dressed as as the main character from Hey Jack by Sally Rippin (to match the teacher in my class who was dressed as Jack's best friend Billie B Brown. I've been reading those series to the kids in our class and they love them.) Maybe next year I'll come dressed as myself again from A Flower in Her Hair. That might also help avoid students screaming, running away and refusing to look at me because I look wrong. Book Week 2024 was definitely an eventful event.