Meeting Liane

Meeting Liane

Hey Everyone!

On Friday night, I had the chance to meet my all time favourite author - Liane Moriarty.

Not long after I moved to Wagga Wagga, I was driving home in the car and flicked on the local radio. I heard an announcement that the local library was running an annual event called One Book One Wagga where they encouraged as many people as possible to read the same book and that this year's book would be Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty (you can read my review here). And to top off that news - she would be coming to a gala dinner right here in little old Wagga!

As soon as I got home, I looked up the phone number to the library and called them to find out how to get a ticket. The librarian who answered didn't know so hunted down the guy who'd been on the radio and put him on the phone. I could hear the smile on his face as he explained to the overenthusiastic library patron (me) that he couldn't pre-book a ticket and I could follow the library Facebook page to find out when tickets went on sale. Well, I stalked that page and now everyone at the library recognises me from my profile picture.

When hubby asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, I told him all I wanted was this ticket I'd just bought for myself. And lots of chocolate... I kept my ticket somewhere safe - in the box where the extra copies of my paperback are kept - until the big night. I obviously didn't get it out and read it often enough because I turned up to the venue listed on the receipt ticket (where I picked up the ticket) instead of the venue the actual event was being held. Thank goodness I was early and the correct venue was only a couple of streets away.

I made my way past tables filled with small groups of friends, mother/daughter's, couples, and found my seat at a table right near the stage. I introduced myself to the other people sharing table c. I'd walked past Liane on my way in but she'd been busy talking to other important looking people and I'd felt a bit shy. Half a glass of wine later, I spotted her walking towards her table. Phone in hand, I strode across the room, smiled and said "Can I have a selfie?"After snapping a couple of photos, I remembered to introduce myself...

Liane was lovely and very down to earth. I checked how to pronounce her name - it's Lee-Ahn not Lee-Anne and then had a conversation about other author's names. Jodi Piccoult is Pee-Coo not Pee-Colt and Roald Dahl is Roo-All not Rolled. I managed to slip in a mention that I'd written a book too and she told me she loved the title Don't Mean a Thing. Squeee!

The conversational interview was excellent. Liane answered the big question that everyone wanted to know - What's our Nic really like? Check out the video below if you want the down low on meeting Nicole Kidman. Liane is a fabulous storyteller.



Truly Madly Guilty features a character who plays the cello, so in honour of this we had a cellist perform throughout the evening. The music was hauntingly beautiful.


To finish off the night, I bought the newest edition of my favourite book, Big Little Lies, and got Liane to autograph it for me. I decided to get the new cover with "Our Nic" on it to prove that I met Liane after she was super famous. As a parting gift, so Liane could say she met me before I was super famous, I gave her one of my bookmarks.