Carter and the Curious Maze by Philippa Dowding

Carter and the Curious Maze by Philippa Dowding

The fair is dull, dull, dull, and nothing interesting will ever happen to Carter again …
… that is, until he discovers the curious maze. Nothing has ever happened here in the history of the world, he thinks. But the maze has some strange secrets, and the spot Carter stands upon has seen some very exciting events over the centuries.
Once Carter enters the maze, odd people begin to appear. First he meets Mr. Green, the mysterious, creepy maze-keeper, then a leaf-covered girl, a lost little boy in old-fashioned clothes, a wounded British soldier, and finally an eighteenth-century native boy who seems very authentic, indeed.
When Carter eventually escapes the curious maze, the fair is all wrong. There are too many horses, ladies in bonnets, and what’s a freak show doing there? Carter begins his travels through time, and his dull afternoon is about to get very, very interesting.



Hey! Here's my review.

You should know, before you even start this book, that it's a little scary.

I'd planned to read this book with my children, but after reading that first line, I decided to read the rest by myself. My two get upset about a lost dog or a homeless kitten, I didn't think they'd cope with "a little scary". Maybe in another couple of years.

The book is aimed at middle-grade readers, and if your kids are more resilient than mine, then they'd love it. It's a great way to learn a little about American history through the eyes of a young boy who time travels via a magical maze. I would have loved this story when I was ten, and I still enjoyed it three decades later.


★★★ 

  • Where: NetGalley
  • Format: ebook