The Patterson Girls by Rachael Johns

The Patterson Girls by Rachael Johns

How can four sisters build the futures they so desperately want, when the past is reaching out to claim them?

When the Patterson daughters return home to Meadow Brook to be with their father after their mother’s death, they bring with them a world of complication and trouble.

The eldest sister, obstetrician Madeleine, would rather be anywhere but her hometown, violinist Abigail has fled from her stellar career, while teacher Lucinda is struggling to have the children she and her husband so desperately want. The black sheep of the family, Charlie, feels her life as a barista and exercise instructor doesn’t measure up to that of her gifted and successful sisters.

Dealing with their bereft father who is determined to sell the family motel, their loves old and new and a series of troublesome decisions doesn’t make life any easier, but when they go through their mother’s possessions and uncover the shocking secret of an old family curse, they begin to question everything they thought they knew.

A warm and wise novel about secrets revealed, finding your soulmate and the unique bond between sisters.




Hey! Here's my review.

Rachael Johns is a name I know well, but this is actually the first of her books that I've read. Many of her other books are more romance, whereas this one is more women's fiction. I loved her writing style and in depth characters, so I'll definitely track down more of Rachael's books when I feel like a romance hit.

I loved the familiar Australian setting and the specific little details that gave it a South Australian feel. I haven't spent much time in South Australia, but this book really got me in the mood for our family holiday down that way in a couple of weeks. The town we will be staying in got a passing mention. Speaking of passing mentions, I hunted down the chocolate coated apricot treat that one of the characters was craving (FruChocs) and I'm nibbling (OK scoffing) them while writing this review. That chocolate hit must have given me an energy boost, because I don't usually write reviews this long!

I loved the relationships between the four sisters and how they all came together to support their dad. The topic of infertility was dealt with sensitively and "The Patterson Curse" lightened the mood of the book, keeping it fun. If you like Liane Moriarty, you might enjoy this too.
 


★★★★★ 

  • Where: NetGalley
  • Format: ebook

Purchase links