How to Write Your Blockbuster by Fiona McIntosh

How to Write Your Blockbuster by Fiona McIntosh

writing tips, commercial fiction, advice, publish, aspiring
A practical and inspirational guide on how to become a professional author of genre fiction

Almost everybody thinks they have a book in them, or dreams of seeing their name on the cover of a book. And while there are many resources out there on the "craft" of writing or how to find your creative voice as an "artist," there is little by way of practical advice on how to actually set about writing genre fiction for a career. Fiona McIntosh, one of Australia's most successful commercial authors across a range of genres, is here to set the record straight, and set aspiring novelists on a realistic path. She believes that if you have a tough hide and a philosophical attitude—as well as a damn strong work ethic—anyone can make a living from popular writing. And she's here to show you how.





Hey! Here's my review.

A month ago, I decided to join Camp NaNoWriMo and start writing my first novel. I bought this book as a reward for meeting my word count goal. I decided that if I could stick it out and develop a writing routine for a month, then maybe I could maintain that discipline. 

I knew that what I had spewed forth onto the page so far need LOTS of work, so I turned Fiona McIntosh. Many of the books I've enjoyed reading this year were written by debut authors who have completed one of Fiona's Masterclasses. This book is a condensed version of that week long class. I would love to do a class with her one day, but I needed instant gratification, so downloaded the ebook. I devoured it in two sittings, though I will read and refer to it again, and again. (Was I repeating myself there Fiona, oops, I did listen, really).

I loved the style it was written in. More of an informal biographical style, filled with anecdotes, rather than a textbook style. I could just imagine sitting in a class and listening to Fiona dishing out the tough love. This book covers many topics, from getting into a regular writing routine and setting word count goals to dealing with publishers. I highly recommend this book to other aspiring authors as well as published authors who are looking for tips from someone who is making a living from their writing. If you want to write commercial fiction, this is the book for you. 


★★★★★ 

  • Where: Kobo
  • Format: ebook
Purchase links