Camp NaNoWriMo 2015

Camp NaNoWriMo 2015

Renee Conoulty HeySaidReneeHey Everyone!

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I found my One Idea and signed up to Camp NaNoWriMo for a bit of motivation to start writing my first novel. Well, I can't quite say "Hey Everyone! I just wrote this book" yet, but I can say "Hey Everyone! I just won my first Camp NaNoWriMo!" I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking at it and making the time to write almost everyday. I have a long way to go before I have a book, but I've started.


For those of you who haven't participated in a Camp NaNoWriMo before, you are able to set your own word count goal for the month. Everyone who reaches their goal is a winner. The default setting is 50,000 words, but I thought that was a bit too much of a challenge for me. I chose to drop my goal to something achievable. I was worried that if I didn't reach my goal, I might give up altogether. When I saw that other people in my cabin (who were actually published authors) also dropped their goal, I felt much better. About two weeks in I had a pretty good idea of how much I was able to write each day and settled on 20,000 words. That's like 80 pages. But when you break it down to about 650 words per day, it's not so daunting. I'm not sure if I can keep up the pace, but hopefully I've created some good writing habits. 

Have you participated in a NaNoWriMo event before? How did you go?