The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.



Hey! Here's my review.


That synopsis doesn't give much away, so I'll try not to as well. 

I don't usually read horror books, but a few people I know really enjoyed this one, so I thought I'd give it a go. I found it more of a dystopian science fiction thriller. Exciting more than scary. 

It is a well thought out fast paced book. The characters had depth and I felt none of them were purely good or evil. Lots of grey areas around the ethics. Some characters were more likable than others, but I was able to understand the motivations of each of them. The writing style is quite descriptive. It is a book I stopped to think about once I finished.

★★★
  • Where: Local library
  • Format: paperback
Purchase links 
 Amazon | Kobo icon