Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInerney

Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInerney


For the past thirty-three years, Angela Gillespie has sent friends and family around the world an end-of-the-year letter titled 'Hello from the Gillespies'. It's always been cheery and full of good news. This year, Angela surprises herself – she tells the truth . . .


The Gillespies are far from the perfect family that Angela has made them out to be. Her husband is coping poorly with retirement. Her 32-year-old twins are having career meltdowns. Her third daughter, badly in debt, can't stop crying. And her ten-year-old son spends more time talking to his imaginary friend than to real ones.

Without Angela, the family would fall apart. But when Angela is taken from them in a most unexpected manner, the Gillespies pull together – and pull themselves together – in wonderfully surprising ways . . .



Hey! Here's my review.

I loved this book! It is a great balance of character and plot. I really liked the characters and found them relatable. I spent the first half of the book expecting something in particular to happen, then it went in a completely different direction. 

I was immediately drawn to this book because the main character sends a Christmas letter every year. My Mum has done that for years, and still does. I hope hers doesn't turn out like this one year!

The story is set in the Australian outback and focusses on the relationships and lives the members of the Gillespie family. I can't say anything else without spoiling it.

I received and ARC copy from NetGalley and also borrowed the audiobook from Borrowbox through my local library. I listened to the audiobook. The narrator, Ulli Berve, was fantastic. She used an English accent for the main character and a mix of Australian, Irish and American accents for the other characters.

★★★★
This book is available to purchase from Amazon here:  Hello From the Gillespies