Books

Idiot's vs Dummies

12:45 pm 0 Comments A+ a-

Hey Everyone!


I've been reading lots of books on writing recently. I'm not sure if it is helping my writing, or just helping me procrastinate, but here's my opinion on a couple of them.

I recently read both "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel" and "Writing a Novel and Getting Published For Dummies". I don't think I'm an idiot or a dummy, but I related more to the dummies. 



The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel by Thomas F. Monteleone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm devouring all the writing tip books that I can get my hands on. I mostly skimmed this one. It covers the general topics well, but is a few years out of date now. The writing tips are all still valid, but the publishing and marketing side is outdated. Worth a read if you pick it up for free from you local library like I did, but I wouldn't pay full price for it.






Writing a Novel and Getting Published For Dummies by George Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been reading quite a few books about writing recently and this is one of the better ones. I liked the way things were broken down and explained with examples. It is laid out in a way that makes sense and published recently enough to be still relevant.