Idiot's vs Dummies

Idiot's vs Dummies

Hey Everyone!


I've been reading lots of books on writing recently. I'm not sure if it is helping my writing, or just helping me procrastinate, but here's my opinion on a couple of them.

I recently read both "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel" and "Writing a Novel and Getting Published For Dummies". I don't think I'm an idiot or a dummy, but I related more to the dummies. 



The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel by Thomas F. Monteleone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm devouring all the writing tip books that I can get my hands on. I mostly skimmed this one. It covers the general topics well, but is a few years out of date now. The writing tips are all still valid, but the publishing and marketing side is outdated. Worth a read if you pick it up for free from you local library like I did, but I wouldn't pay full price for it.






Writing a Novel and Getting Published For Dummies by George Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been reading quite a few books about writing recently and this is one of the better ones. I liked the way things were broken down and explained with examples. It is laid out in a way that makes sense and published recently enough to be still relevant.