Mix It Up! by Hervé Tullet

Mix It Up! by Hervé Tullet

Accept Hervé Tullet's irresistible invitation to mix it up in a dazzling adventure of whimsy and wonder. Follow the artist's simple instructions, and suddenly colors appear, mix, splatter, and vanish in a world powered only by the reader's imagination. Tullet—who joins such greats as Eric Carle and Leo Lionni as a master of his craft—sets readers on an extraordinary interactive journey all within the printed page. Tullet prompts plenty of giggles in addition to a profound understanding of colors, and once again displays his unique genius and vision in a work that is a glorious and richly satisfying companion to Press Here. 



Hey! Here's my review.

I read Press Here a couple of years ago to the kids, but they didn't like it as much as I did. I spotted Mix It Up in the local library this week, so added it to the pile of books we borrowed. It was a real hit with the kids. They stayed completely engaged the whole way through and with lots of squeals of delight and exclamations of "What the heck" when they saw what happened on each page. I got them to take turn at following the instructions and guessing what would happen. We haven't quite got our colour mixing yet, but they had lots of fun. A few more reads over the next week or two and I think they will remember what happens when you mix red and blue.

**Interview with my kids - Molly (4) & Tom (6)**

Me: Did you like that book?
Tom: Yeah! It's crazy awesome!
Molly: Mmmm Hmmmm

Me: What was the best bit?
Molly: All of them
Tom: The best bit was when I put my hand on then I took it off and there was a handprint.

Me: Molly, what happens when you mix red and blue?
Molly: Um. I don't know.
Tom: I know what it is but I'm not telling *then whispers "orange" to Molly when he thinks I'm not looking*
Molly: Mum, can I have a look through to see what black and white makes please?
Me: Sure *hands her book*

Me: Tom, what happens when you mix blue and yellow?
Tom: Blue and yellow. Blue and yellow. I think it makes orange. Yep, orange. Does it actually make orange?
Me: Let's have a look. *flick through book again to see what mixing the colours does*
Tom: So green?
Me: Yep.
Tom: So which ones make orange? *we look through the book again for orange* So it was red and yellow?
Me: Yes.

*Molly takes book back off me*
Molly: Can you read it again?
Tom: And this time you can do it in a pattern. Tom Molly Tom Molly Tom Tom Molly Molly

And after Tom drew a diagram of boys and girls faces to make sure I didn't mess the pattern up, that's what we did.
★★★★★  

  • Where: Local Library
  • Format: Hardback
Purchase links