Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski **Interview & Review**

Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski **Interview & Review**

Hey Everyone!

I had a review request for a zombie book just after my last zombie fest, but I have been suffering from zombie burnout, so it kept getting put aside for fun romance novels. I originally tried to download the audiobook from audible, but it wasn't licensed for Australia. Since then, on advice from Amazon, I added a friend's US address to my account so that I could redeem a gift voucher that I received.  I realised this week, that this may let me get the audiobook now.....yep ;) twisting the rules a little....but Amazon told me to! I'm so glad I waited for the audio, the narrator was superb.  I posted this picture of the Braineater Joe ebook on twitter a few days ago and here is the informal "twitterview" that followed.




Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee Jul 9
#amreading #fridayreads #Zombies #Noir @outfortune

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune Jul 9
Hope you enjoy it, @HeySaidRenee!

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 18h18 hours ago
@outfortune To be or not to be.... Bahahaha! I love it!

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune 18h18 hours ago
:) okay I think I found a kindred spirit in you, @HeySaidRenee

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 18h18 hours ago
@outfortune I "borrowed" a friends US address and got myself the audio after all. Awesome narration! Loving the humor.

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune 17h17 hours ago
Ohhhhhhh! Dat's @StevesVO's fault. I had nothing to do with it. :) @HeySaidRenee

Steve Rimpici ‏@StevesVO 17h17 hours ago
.@outfortune @HeySaidRenee Glad you're enjoying it although I am merely a vessel for the master's words.

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 17h17 hours ago
@outfortune @StevesVO Great teamwork boys!

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 5h5 hours ago
@outfortune @StevesVO I just finished and loved it! Steve and Stephen were a perfect match - how did you end up working together?

Steve Rimpici ‏@StevesVO 2h2 hours ago
.@HeySaidRenee @outfortune Regular audition but I add a subliminal "choir of angels" track to better my odds of getting hired.

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 1h1 hour ago
@StevesVO @outfortune Stephen, was it the subliminal angels that won you over? Or was you publisher involved in the decision?

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune 1h1 hour ago
I don't remember any angels, just stunning inborn talent and skill cultivated over years of hard work. @StevesVO @HeySaidRenee

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune 1h1 hour ago
Although I endorsed @StevesVO's audition, per our contract the decision was 100% @RAPublishing's. I think they chose well :) @HeySaidRenee

Renee Conoulty ‏@HeySaidRenee 8m8 minutes ago
@outfortune @StevesVO You guys make me smile! I'll tag you both again when my blog review (incl this "twitterview") is up. Any last words?

Stephen Kozeniewski ‏@outfortune 7m7 minutes ago
.@StevesVO, you are my superior narrator. You are also my friend. I have been...and always shall be...yours. @HeySaidRenee

Steve Rimpici ‏@StevesVO 4m4 minutes ago
.@HeySaidRenee @outfortune Keep calm and keep listening!


Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

Braineater Jones wakes up face down in a swimming pool with no memory of his former life, how he died, or why he’s now a zombie. With a smart-aleck severed head as a partner, Jones descends into the undead ghetto to solve his own murder.

But Jones’s investigation is complicated by his crippling addiction to human flesh. Like all walking corpses, he discovers that only a stiff drink can soothe his cravings. Unfortunately, finding liquor during Prohibition is costly and dangerous. From his Mason jar, the cantankerous Old Man rules the only speakeasy in the city that caters to the postmortem crowd.

As the booze, blood, and clues coagulate, Jones gets closer to discovering the identity of his killer and the secrets behind the city’s stranglehold on liquid spirits. Death couldn’t stop him, but if the liquor dries up, the entire city will be plunged into an orgy of cannibalism.

Cracking this case is a tall order. Braineater Jones won’t get out alive, but if he plays his cards right, he might manage to salvage the last scraps of his humanity.


Hey! Here's my review.

Braineater Jones woke up from the big sleep, discovered he was undead, but had no idea who he was. Set in the 1930's, in an alternate reality, where sentient zombies coexist with humans Braineater Jones put on his Private Eye hat and picked up a few detective jobs, so that he could pay for alcohol to keep his brain pickled enough to keep it functioning. He continued working on the side to uncover his own story too. 

Written in a hardboiled noir detective style, you can imagine Humphrey Bogart with a gaping hole in his chest, and almost hear his drawl. Actually, I pretty much did! I listened to the audiobook and Steve Rimpici was amazing! He gave each of the characters a unique voice and portrayed Stephen Kozeniewski's dry humour flawlessly. I was smiling the whole way through and actually laughed out loud a few times. Not just an LOL that you type when you think something was funny, the one where your kids come over and ask you what you were laughing at (but you can't tell them because...well....severed heads and Shakespeare may not be quite as funny to 6 year olds)



hardboiled detective crime

★★★★★  
  • Where: Author Invitation
  • Format: audiobook
Purchase links