My year in books - 2016

My year in books - 2016

Hey Everyone!

Goodreads was kind enough to put together a summary of my reading in 2016.


I read less than in 2014 or 2015, but that was my plan. I set my goal at 200 books for the year, but that was my cap limit - I needed to make sure I spent time doing other things too, like writing a book for you to read. I managed to stay comfortably under the 200 limit and still averaged reading between 2 and 3 books per week. The average length of books I read was 250 pages and my average rating was 4.5 out of 5 (it would possibly have been higher if the kids had been able to rate the books I read them at 100 out of 5 as they requested). 

Here are my top twenty stand-out reads from 2016 - in no particular order. (Titles link to Goodreads)

The Fence by Meredith Jaffe - neighbourhood drama from both sides of the fence.

The Girl in the Jitterbug Dress by Tam Francis - dual timeline romance with lots of dancing.

A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald by Natasha Lester - New York 1920s historical with a strong heroine.

GMC by Debra Dixon - nuts and bolts of writing craft.

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty - neighbourhood drama with suspense.

Never Say Die by Stevie Kopas - horror short story collection.

The War Bride by Pamela Hart - Australian historical fiction 1920s.

Dating for Decades by Tracy Krimmer - fun & relatable chick lit/women's fiction.

The Art of Keeping Secrets by Rachael Johns - Aussie life lit.

The Peppercorn Project by Nicki Edwards - rural romance.

Things We Cannot See by Dianne Maguire - domestic suspense.

Shtum by Jem Lester - family drama about men and autism.

The Florentine Bridge by Vanessa Carnevale - beautiful contemporary romance.

Under the Spanish Stars by Alli Sinclair - dual timeline dancing and romancing in Spain.

The Widow by Fiona Barton - psychological thriller.

Novelista Girl by Meredith Schorr - fun chick lit.

Kakadu Sunset by Annie Seaton - Aussie romantic suspense.

Home to Bindarra Creek by Juanita Kees - rural romance.

My Silly Mum by Monique Mulligan - funny kids picture book.

The Magic Molly series by Holly Webb - middle-grade fiction / early readers.