Books

Did Not Finish

9:30 pm 4 Comments A+ a-

Hey Everyone!

I made the call the other day to not finish a book I had started. I don't do this very often so it was a big decision for me. I had only ever not finished books that I hated within the first 50 pages or so. This book, I didn't hate and I had read over 200 pages, but it had taken me six weeks to get that far. I kept putting it down and picking up something else I wanted to read more. Reading is my fun, relaxing outlet and I want to make sure it remains feeling like that. With the pressure of review deadlines, I don't want to risk my hobby feeling like a chore.

I put the book down, then logged on to Goodreads and marked it Unfinished. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I feel free to pick up the book I borrowed from the library, one I've had my eye on for a while. I decided to write a review on Goodreads, explaining that the book wasn't for me, but suggesting who it might appeal to. I chose not rate the book, it wasn't poorly written, so didn't deserve a low rating, it just didn't appeal to me.

Do you finish all the books you start? Do you rate or review books you haven't finished?

4 comments

Write comments
jools500
AUTHOR
14 October 2015 at 01:58 delete

I understand what your're saying. Lately because of my reading/blogging schedule there have been one or two books I just couldn't get into. They weren't badly written. They just didn't tick the box with me so I don't feel guilty about not finishing them. On the other hand, I don't like giving a negative review so I'll only read the books I enjoy.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
14 October 2015 at 03:04 delete

I have currently been reading one book for the last six months...because I am reading it over the phone, long distance, with my mother, who has Alzheimers. But she can still read, and as long as she is still willing to take turns with me, I will read anything she wants to read at any pace she wants to read it. Know this is not your situation at all, but I am asking every book blogger I encounter if they have any suggestions for books to read with someone whose semantic memory is still intact, but whose episodic memory is - well, for shite. I have looked all over for research on Alzheimers and reading and I find very little, but I know it is helpful, and the more information I can gather, the better quality of life my mother will continue to have. ;-)

Reply
avatar
14 October 2015 at 13:50 delete

Collections of short stories might work well. That way you could complete a full story within a phone call and she wouldn't need to remember what happened last time to continue on. Or old classics that she read as a child. Often longer term memory works better than shorter term.

Reply
avatar
14 October 2015 at 13:54 delete

If something was poorly written, I'm not afraid to give a low star rating, but I'm always conscious of saying something positive in the review. If it just wasn't my cup of tea, I prefer not to star rate. I've been struggling to give myself permission to stop reading something I'm not enjoying. The only ones I've put down so far have been too literary or too far the other way and over the top annoying.

Reply
avatar