Frantic by Katherine Howell

Frantic by Katherine Howell

There are worse things than death, though Paramedic Sophie Phillips doesn't think so. She and her work partner constantly revise a list of the worst ways to die, holding the number 1 spot vacant for the death so terrible even they can't imagine it. But Sophie is sure it will cross her path on the streets of Sydney one day.

When Sophie's police officer husband Chris is shot and their baby is kidnapped, Detective Ella Marconi has to fight to get to the truth. Is it revenge by a bereaved father for Sophie's recent failure to save his wife and newborn baby? Or was Chris somehow involved in the police corruption that appears rife in the city?

When the police fail to trace Sophie's son, she takes matters into her own hands and now that she's realised there are worse things than death, nothing will stop her from finding him.



Hey! Here's my review.

This is the first book in the Detective Ella Marconi series and the first book I have read by the author. A frantically paced crime thriller set in Sydney, that kept me guessing until the end. The narrative is split between Ella - a police detective and Sophie - a paramedic. I enjoyed the paramedic POV a little more. The author has experience working as a paramedic and was able to really set the scene for the ambulance call outs. I don't know how I would cope if my husband was shot at and my baby kidnapped. I listened to the audio version, narrated by Caroline Lee - who did a great job.

★★★★★
  • Where: Borrowbox
  • Format: audiobook
Purchase links
Amazon Kobo icon