George R. R. Martin

George R. R. Martin

Hey Everyone!

 My hubby and I have finally caught up with the Game of Thrones TV series. We watched the last episode of season 4 this week and now our watch begins.......... the wait for season 5. I read all the books in a row early last year. I read them one per month as part of a buddy read in my favourite online book club - Novel Books & Reading Challenges. I found stopping every few chapters to answer questions and discuss the book helped me figure out what was going on. There are so many complex plots happening all at once, I think I would have been lost reading them without the discussion.

So when I took the kids to the library this week, the world of Ice and Fire was fresh in my mind. While wandering around through the YA section, I spotted the name George R. R. Martin on a little hardback book. On closer inspection, I also spotted the name Luis Royo. That is another name I know well as he is my hubby's favourite artist. We have a few laminated Luis Royo prints in our spare room (also known as "the man cave") and hubby has some tattoos based on his artwork. There is no way I could resist, and added the beautifully illustrated children's book to the growing pile of books to borrow. When I got home I devoured the simple story in one gulp. Here's my review.


The Ice DragonThe Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have read and loved all the books currently released from The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Some people say that this book is set in the same world but there are some small differences such as winter occurring every year in this book compared to everything few years in the adult books.

This is a short story aimed at children. My children are 4 and 5 so I read it to myself as I though it was too old for them. It has a fairytale quality to it. It is about a little girl born during the winter who bonds with a wild untameable ice dragon during a time of war. The edition I read had beautiful illustrations by Luis Royo, my husband's favorite artist.
  • Where: Local library
  • Format: hardback
Purchase links
Amazon | Kobo icon